If you’re eligible for a tax refund, you’ll want to get it sooner rather than later. Right?
It’s uncertain how long a tax refund will take, for a range of reasons. One big one is the ATO itself. Changes and updates to systems, and the ever growing number of crack downs, mean closer scrutiny and data matching for tax returns. Plus, the ATO is prone to technical outages for the past year so there’s always the chance there’ll be more.
But there are many other ways to get a faster tax refund. Our tax experts at Etax.com.au share some practical things you can do to help get that tax refund moving!
1. Collect your tax information and keep it together
- Income records from your employers is supplied directly to the ATO (as of 2019) but if you received other forms of income, make sure to have a record of it.
- Gather receipts for work-related expenses and other deductions like charity donations. Then simply fill in the new easy-to-follow etax.com.au form.
With etax.com.au, you choose the sections you need and skip the rest. That means you’re done faster, lodged faster and already on your way to a faster tax refund!.
2. Get your tax & contact details right
- Make sure that the personal details you enter into the etax.com.au form are exactly right.
- Provide an email address you check frequently plus a mobile number.
- add [email protected] to your email address book – this helps make sure important notices reach your inbox.
- The etax.com.au accountants keep an eye out for details that differ from ATO records, this helps to prevent ATO refund delays.
3. Make sure your return maximises your tax refund legally!
It’s definitely not a good idea to claim deductions you can’t legally claim. If you didn’t pay for it or you were reimbursed, don’t include it on your return. Also the ATO know what things cost so if you inflate the dollar amount of deductions, it will stick out like a sore thumb. This is the best way to get yourself in trouble with the ATO. In fact, you could lose your refund, rather than get your refund faster!
Mistakes and misunderstandings do happen, we are all human, after all. So our advice if you are at all unsure about something, just ask. At etax.com.au, you can leave a note in ‘My Messages’ and your accountant will quickly get in touch to put you on the right track.
Our accountants check your return for issues that could slow down your tax refund. They know ‘ATO audit triggers’ that could cause problems with your return,” says Gielis.
Also, if needed, Etax accountants will contact you with suggestions to improve your tax refund.”
When it’s all correct, the Etax accountants lodge your return electronically, another way to help ensure a quick turnaround of your tax refund at the ATO.
Spotting errors, unusual claims and items that cause ATO audits, before the return is lodged, is one of the things we do best,” says Gielis.
For more information on how the experts at Etax can help you get a faster tax refund, contact us by phone on 1300 693 829 or email the team on [email protected]
You are viewing our new website design! Click here to go back to the original site.