Need a tax checklist? Get a custom one for your job, for free, below.
To help jog your memory and collect all the right documents and details at one time, we’ve created helpful tax checklists for popular professions.
In these tax checklists, we suggest items specific to your job that you may want to claim, including job-specific deductions that could boost your refund – like knives for chefs, non slip shoes for nurses, etc.
If you forget to include receipts or other items in your tax return, you could miss out on valuable tax deductions. That’s where your tax checklist helps you get it all right, in one go.
A tax checklist, tailored to your job that you can download for free!
How to use your tax return checklist:
- Choose your tax return checklist below – find one that matches your job (or similar). Don’t see a match? No problem, there are general tax checklists down below as well.
- To find out more about tax deductions relevant to you, click on the ‘view blog’ link at the bottom of the checklist
- Use your checklist as a reference or print it off and mark each item as you collect it.
- Start your online return, most people finish in minutes.
- If you have questions or concerns, chat with an Etax accountant on live chat or phone – no appointments needed.
Download a tax checklist here:
Don’t see your job above? Download the general tax checklists below
We’re working on tax checklists for common professions in Australia; as you might guess, it’s quite a task! People have more sorts of jobs than we all tend to think about.
In the meantime, below are Basic and Detailed tax checklists that should help people in all professions. See tips about what tax deductions can be claimed and which documents and numbers you’ll need in order to finish your taxes.
A simple, general tax checklist for all professions
Our basic checklist is suitable for anyone with a simple tax return with little or no additional schedules.
A more comprehensive tax checklist for all professions
Our detailed checklist is suitable for anyone with with more complex tax affairs, inc. property investors etc.
Confused about anything in your checklist?
Don’t worry. Here are a few ways you can connect with an Etax accountant for friendly help…
- on live chat (it’s an option after you start your latest Etax return)
- via My Messages (click the mail icon at the top, after you log into your return)
- add your notes or questions in the “Any Other Questions” section, at the very bottom of your Etax return. Then, after you finish and sign it, your accountant will check your return and your questions. They will also tell you if you have provided the correct documents or they need more verification.
- email and phone are good too – the Etax support details are listed right on your tax checklist
Don’t have all the documents you need?
If you’re waiting for a tax statement, PAYG, a receipt or some other document, you can still get started on your return at etax.com.au.
Simply add the details you’ve got on hand. Your Etax return saves automatically as you go, so you can be sure you won’t lose or forget and of the numbers.
Later, when your missing document arrives, just pop back into your Etax account, add the details and you should be ready to go!
Not sure where to find certain documents or information in your tax checklist?
Your statements from providers such as banks and private health providers are either sent to you at the end of each financial year or made available to you online. Generally, you will need to login to your account to download your documents. If you have not received records that you need for your tax return, contact the relevant provider directly.
If you are unsure about anything, the accountants at Etax can often help you to find the information you need and tell you where to enter it in your return.
Other templates and tax forms
At Etax we make tax easy! If you have any questions about your tax return, don’t hesitate to contact us – we’re happy to help.