Late Tax Return? How To Lodge Your Overdue Taxes – Fast!
Do you have an overdue tax return? Or maybe several late tax returns you’re avoiding?
Don’t worry, you’ve come to the right place. The Etax online tax return is fast, easy and available 24/7:
- Just register your details, select the tax year, enter a few numbers, and your late tax returns will be done before you know it.
- Next, your return is checked by a qualified accountant. Your accountant contacts you with any questions or ideas for improving your tax refund.
- They’ll lodge it at the ATO and follow it up if needed – which means you can put those tax returns behind you and let a qualified accountant take care of the details.
Overdue: 2023 tax Returns
The 2023 tax return deadline was 31 October 2023. If you haven’t lodged a 2023 return yet, it’s it’s time to get started!
Did you know you can finish any late tax returns from 2010–2023, right now too?
At Etax complete any late tax returns from 2010 to 2023! And the best part is, the simple online system means you finish your late returns in just minutes, with no appointments and no fuss.
It’s never too late to lodge a late tax return but the ATO never forgets!
If you have a late tax return, the sooner you complete it, the better! The ATO is very clear: You must lodge a tax return for every year that you received any income.
If you miss a year’s tax return, the ATO systems will log it as unlodged. Plus, they often apply penalties that grow and grow over time.
Finish your late tax returns in minutes.
- If you have a late tax return, lodge it as soon as possible. (The longer you wait, the more chance of ATO fines and interest charges.)
- If you lodge your late tax return now and you don’t owe the ATO any money, usually they won’t charge any late penalties*.
- It doesn’t matter if you have one late return or ten overdue tax returns – the sooner you lodge your returns, the better.
Here are the most common questions we hear about late tax returns…
“I can’t find my Income Statement or PAYG and I don’t have any record of my income…”
- Did you misplace your PAYG payment summary or group certificate for a particular tax year?
- Did your employer not give you an Income Statement?
Don’t worry: Your Etax accountant will fetch tax records directly from the ATO to help complete your tax return. This includes your PAYG summary or Income Statement, plus income from bank interest and government agencies like Centrelink.
So, just follow these easy steps to get your overdue tax returns up to date, fast:
- Register online at Etax and select the relevant outstanding tax year.
- Fill in as much detail as you can and sign your return.
- Send us a message using “My Messages” inside your Etax return and let us know you don’t have your payment records.
- Leave the rest to us. We’ll check with the ATO to find any missing information. Then we’ll lodge you late tax return to the ATO on your behalf.
Please note: For all late tax returns, we will check information from the ATO. Unfortunately, sometimes the ATO did not receive information from your old employers, etc. If this is the case, we still help get your return lodged properly anyway.
“I had no income” or “I earned less than the tax free threshold
If your income is below the tax free threshold or you had no income, it is still necessary to notify the ATO. Instead of lodging a late tax return, you need to submit an ATO “Non-Lodgement Advice”. This informs the ATO that you were did not earn enough income for that year.
If you think this applies to you, please start and sign a return for the years you have outstanding. Then send us a message using “my messages” in the top menu. We’ll check your records with the ATO, confirm whether you need to lodge a late tax return or a Non-Lodgement Advice.
Special offer for all Etax clients: If you need a Non-Lodgement Advice instead of a late tax return, we’ll do it for you, free of charge!
I am afraid of owing the ATO money or “I can’t afford to pay my overdue taxes
Don’t worry, if you can’t afford to pay an ATO tax bill, the Etax support team can help you arrange a payment schedule with the ATO instead.
Remember, if you ignore your late tax returns, ATO fines, interest and penalties can really add up. In addition, the longer you wait, the harder it will be to catch up.
You can do your late tax returns in minutes, with friendly accountant support
*Please note: The information above is general in nature. Etax Accountants cannot guarantee that the ATO won’t charge late fees because this will depend on your individual tax history. However, we can negotiate with the ATO on your behalf to minimise any penalties. A review and advice is provided by a review accountant, after you enter a tax return at Etax.com.au. Final assessment of your return and refund amount lies solely with the Australian Taxation Office.
Finally, for detailed advice relating to your personal circumstances, please:
- ring and speak to one of our accountants on 1300 693 829, OR
- start your tax return online and live chat with an accountant as you go, or send us a secure message from within your return.