myTax and Etax – How do they compare?
What is the difference between doing your tax return with ATO myTax or with Etax?
Etax is different to the Australian Taxation Office’s “myGov/myTax” system, in several important ways:
- Etax is a true online tax agent service – you can get trusted help to finish your tax return – anytime, anywhere, even on mobile.
- It includes live support with people who are on your side; Etax’s degree-qualified accountants check and review your return before it is lodged with the ATO.
- myTax is a government system – whereas Etax is an independent Australian tax agent service that includes friendly support and advice.
- Using ATO myTax, you’re on your own. You add all of your private details and tax claims to the Federal Government’s myGov/myTax database – nobody helps you get a better refund and nobody helps you avoid trouble if something is wrong.
- Etax saves you time and provides useful information:
- Deduction tips based on your occupation,
- See last year’s items to help you remember what to claim*,
- Improved auto-prefill (Etax checks ATO data to help ensure your return is trouble-free later on),
- Less reading: Etax helps you choose the sections you need (and skip the parts you don’t need),
- Tax refund calculator updates every time you add information to your tax return, plus
- Help and support along the way, from qualified accountants who are on your side.
- Mistakes, or an audit? Using myTax, you are on your own dealing with the ATO enforcement agents. At Etax, our accountants will talk to the ATO for you and help resolve any issues.
- History: Etax Accountants launched Etax.com.au in August 1998 and we’ve been Australia’s favourite online tax agent ever since.
- Etax includes checking and advice… with very affordable, tax-deductible fees.
- Etax support wants to improve YOUR refund and help you steer clear of ATO trouble. The goal of Etax accountants is to make your tax return trouble-free and, simply, awesome. Well-prepared tax returns mean fewer ATO delays with your tax refund. On the other hand, the actual goals of the ATO’s myGov/myTax project are not clear, but remember the ATO’s #1 job is to collect more tax.
Do most people use myTax?
No. The ATO says the majority of tax returns are lodged with a tax agent rather than using myTax—for good reasons.
The Australian Taxation Office released statistics to the media:
MOST Australians do their taxes with a tax agent
Is myTax free? Well, sort of. The ATO spends millions of taxpayer dollars on myTax, and it appears the aim is to make myTax more popular while leading people to claim fewer tax deductions. Australians all pay for it, one way or another. Why does the Government do all of that? Remember, the ATO’s job is to collect tax revenue, not to maximise your tax refund.
The job of a tax agent like Etax is to help maximise your refund and help you avoid problems that can delay your refund or lead to strife for you with the ATO.
And tax agents’ fees are all tax-deductible. Click here to compare mytax, etax and other options.
Even Australia’s Inspector-General of Taxation, Ali Noroozi, said,
…frankly, I think every citizen is entitled to independent advice. They should not be getting all their advice from the tax office.”
Who do you trust to help get your taxes done right?
Some taxpayers believe that by going direct to the ATO they are saving money. Our experience is that people who lodge directly often miss important deductions and offsets that could save them money. The effect, over the years, could mean less money in your pocket.
Missed deductions can add up. Different reports have shown that, over time, people who self-prepare their taxes using ATO systems pay as much as $1000 more tax than those who use qualified accountants like Etax. More interesting numbers direct from the ATO:
- 38% of tax payers donated to charity and claimed the donation as a deduction.
- 65% of all tax payers claim some type of work related expenses.
Do you remember all of your deductions at tax time? Etax works hard to help you remember items you can claim and help you get the tax refund you deserve. Click here to see some of the ways Etax can make your tax return better.
A tax agent like Etax is working on YOUR side, to help find more items to claim, boost your refund and avoid ATO problems.
Etax is a registered tax agent practice and a member of Certified Practicing Accountants Australia (CPA Australia). All tax return reviews and support are handled by degree-qualified accountants employed inside Australia – different to many organisations (including the ATO), nothing at Etax is “out-sourced” to different companies.
Your Etax return can be done in minutes
- Just complete what you can,
- finish the signing details, then
- an accountant will take it from there and help you get the best refund possible.
All tax agent fees are tax deductible.
There has never been a better time to do your tax return at Etax.com.au. We look forward to working with you this tax season!
* Returning users can clearly see the items they claimed last year plus the details they entered last year. This saves so much time, people can finish in just a few minutes, with no appointments.
Reviews from Etax Customers
Easy to use, easy to follow, excellent service! Have used this service a number of times and it’s great. I don’t need to look anything up it’s all there for me.
-Jules in Tasmania, from ProductReview
Thank you to a great team of people who deliver the best service.
I have been doing my tax return with Etax Accountants since 2010, the process is simple and the guidelines easy to follow. Communication is efficient and prompt, very helpful and the service is amazing.
-Pamela, from Google Reviews
Easiest Tax Return Ever!
Easiest tax return I’ve ever done. Incredibly simple, step by step process that helps you get the maximum return you are fairly entitled to. I’ll be using this system every year from now on!
-Griffinlay99, from ProductReview
Easy to complete with excellent support
I have used Etax on a number of occasions over the years, Simple, Easy. I will never use another agent again. Very happy with the support and accountants are very helpful and thorough.
-L.Bonaddio in NT, from ProductReview
I’ve been using Etax for my last 6 returns!
The website is easy to use and they have a fantastic team to help and support you if required. There is a fantastic refund estimate tool that updates in real time which I love. They are quick, easy and hassle free. Highly recommended
-Ness76Adam P., from Google Reviews
Etax made my tax return very easy and I would be very happy to recommend them to anyone who is looking for an affordable and easy way to do their return I certainly will keep on using them as long as I need to.
-Joseph C. in Victoria, from Product Review
Easy, fast, efficient
Easy to understand, fast and efficient, second year using etax and will continue to use in the future would recommend etax to anyone wanting a painless easy to use experience.
-Todd in Queensland, from Product Review
I’ve done my tax refund in literally seconds, amazed. The actual process step by step is very easy to use nothing complicated. Thank you very much for your service. I will definitely use it next year.
-Lorenzo in NSW, from Product Review
Such an easy service
…and very happy with my returns for the past few years! Be hard to go elsewhere now!
-Malcolm S., from Facebook
I’ve been using Etax for nearly ten years…
and doing tax returns has never been so easy. Literally just a few minutes of your time and you’re done. Previous form data is saved allowing you to automatically have previous details entered if you’re short on time. I highly recommend this company, you won’t be disappointed.
-Calder P., from Google Reviews