When you claim tax deductions the right way, you can get more back from the ATO (and avoid ATO trouble)
Are you not sure how to claim tax deductions or what you can claim?
The most common things people ask us is, “exactly what tax deductions can I claim on my tax return?”
Figuring out how to claim tax deductions can be confusing. There’s complex ATO rules for each different deduction plus the risk that your deduction claim could trigger an ATO audit. That’s one reason many Australians just skip past deduction claims that could improve their tax refunds. But it’s also the reason most Australians use a tax agent like Etax.com.au. There is help out there for your tax deduction questions!
To make claiming deductions easier, the Etax online tax return has special features that explain the details about each deduction. We’ll cover that down below.
- An amazing new feature inside your tax return at Etax: It shows you tax deductions that are common for other people in your type of job.
- Look here for more detailed information about tax deductions, including a quick video.
- Also, the Etax Blog has an entire section with current updates about tax deductions.
The section help buttons are a great guide to tax deductions and this is available to all registered users.
Here’s how to get help on how to claim tax deductions
…plus how to select and enter tax deductions right on your Etax online return.
1. After you register and start your online tax return, enter your basic details and then go to the ‘My Deductions’ section.
It’s easy to show or hide each type of tax deduction in your return so you only see the parts that are relevant to you. Simply click on a deduction to select it and that section will be added to your return, or click it again to remove it. If you’re not sure what to claim you can hover your mouse over a deduction button and a pop up with more information will appear.
2. For each section you add to your return, take a look at the right-hand corner. There’s a “?” icon.
When you click the ‘?’ mark icon, it provides extra information and helpful tips on how how to complete the section.
3. When you click the help button, a popup will show you ‘Basic’ and ‘Advanced’ help details relevant to the section.
You can learn whether you’re eligible and find out what’s required.
4. Still not sure?
Use “My Messages” to ask a question to an Etax accountant for help!
Just click the menu button at the top of your screen, then in the drop down choose “My Messages”.
When you get to “My Messages”, click the green “Send New Message” button.
You can ask a question or add some comments about your tax return that an accountant will review and get back to you about.
Your message will be read by a qualified accountant after you complete and sign your return.
5. Learn more at the Etax Blog
The Etax ‘Tax Tips’ blog has great information including a special category for tax deductions.
The writers and contributors at the Etax blog include some of Australia’s most experienced tax agents and CPA-qualified accountants.