When you claim tax deductions the right way, you can get more back from the ATO (and avoid ATO trouble)
Are you not sure what to claim as a tax deduction?
One of the most common things people ask us is, “exactly what deductions can I claim on my tax return?”
Claimable expenses can be confusing, with complex ATO rules for each different item plus the risk that your deduction claim could trigger an ATO audit. That’s one reason many Australians just skip over deduction claims that could improve their tax refunds. But it’s also the reason most Australians use a tax agent like Etax.com.au. There is help out there for your tax refund questions!
To make claiming deductions easier, the Etax online tax return has special features that explain the details about each deduction, all the way through your tax return. We’ll cover that down below.
- An amazing new feature inside your tax return at Etax: It shows you tax deductions that are common for other people in your type of job.
- Look here for more detailed information about tax deductions, including a quick video.
- Also, the Etax Blog has an entire section with current updates about tax deductions.
The section help buttons are a great guide to tax deductions and this is available to all registered users.
Here’s how to get online help about how to claim tax deductions,
…plus how to select and enter tax deductions right on your Etax online return.
1. After you register and start your online tax return, enter your basic details, then go to the Deductions section in your return.
It’s easy to show or hide each type of tax deduction in your return. It will look like this:
2. At each section you add to your return, look at the right-hand corner. There’s a “?” icon.
When you click it, it will open up a detailed description of that section.
3. When you click the help button, a popup will show you help details that are relevant to the section you are on.
You can learn whether you’re eligible and find out what’s required.
4. Still not sure?
Use “My Messages” to ask an accountant!
Just click the menu button at the top of your screen (circled in the image below) then choose “My Messages”.
When you get to “My Messages”, click the green “Send New Message” button.
You can ask a question or add some comments about your tax return.
Your message will be read by a qualified accountant after you complete and sign your return.
5. Learn more at the Etax Blog.
The Etax ‘Tax Tips’ blog has great information including a special category for tax deductions.
The writers and contributors at the Etax blog include some of Australia’s most experienced tax agents and CPA-qualified accountants.