In the past when you downloaded e-tax software from the ATO, you installed government software directly on your computer. The etax download process repeated every year with more software added to your computer.
The ATO has announced ATO e-tax is no longer available from them. If you want to “self-prepare” a tax return with the ATO, you are required to go and register an account on the Commonwealth Government’s “MyGov” system and enter all your details, then use the ATO myTax system for your tax return details. But, there are better options…
It’s important to know, most Australians don’t simply trust the ATO with their tax return.
Is going direct to the ATO and self-preparing your tax return, with myTax, the best way to do your taxes?
When you choose to self-prepare your tax return using ATO e-tax software (or their new myTax system), it is important to realise you will be managing your tax affairs on your own. You will not receive tax agent advice or support to help you avoid ATO problems. And nobody will try to help improve your tax refund.
Media reports have shown that Australians miss out on Billions in unclaimed tax deductions.
The ATO’s job is to collect tax revenue for the Government, not to maximise your tax refund. This is important to think about if you use the ATO’s e-tax and myTax, every year. As your earnings and taxes go up, you could miss a bit more each year. The ATO won’t be in touch to help you to find more deductions.
Did you know there are great alternatives?
Some ATO press releases and online media seem to suggest that most Australians download e-tax software or use myTax, but this is simply not true.
ATO figures show that 74% of Australians use a tax agent (often, a modern online tax agent service like etax.com.au), rather than going it alone with the ATO.
Is the etax download cancelled?
According to the ATO, e-tax software won’t be available to download ever again. But there are great alternatives.
You can read more about Australia’s #1 online tax return service on this page.
Question: “What is the best alternative to the ATO’s myTax and the cancelled e-tax download?”
Answer: The Etax.com.au 2017 Online Tax Return Service
The most important reason why people choose an online tax agent service is confidence:
An independent survey found that people choose a tax agent, above all, because it gives them the confidence their return was lodged correctly. At Etax.com.au, qualified accountants check your return and they are on your side. The goal is to help you improve your tax refund and help you avoid trouble with the ATO – that means somebody’s looking out for how much money stays in your wallet.
Etax.com.au is a tax agent service offering a fast and easy-to-use tax return that you complete online, from your web browser. It works beautifully on any device (including tablets and mobile phones). Using Etax.com.au you won’t need to download and install any government software on your computer. And you won’t need to go it alone on MyGov websites with no help.
You can also use the Etax Mobile App. There’s no extra fee – just the same low starting fee of $67.90 which includes tax agent support and advice.
“Did you know…”
Tax agent fees are tax deductible. That’s just another reason why so many Australians see using an online tax agent service like Etax.com.au as a “no-brainer”.
The ATO’s e-tax download includes many questions that may not apply to you. This can involve one hundred or more pages of reading. On the other hand, using Etax.com.au we make things as simple as possible: You select only the sections that apply to you, and your return is automatically customised for you, hiding the parts you don’t need. Next you’ll enter some items required by the ATO, then you’re done – fast and easy.
Another feature Etax.com.au clients appreciate: Your information is secure, never lost and always accessible – from any device that has internet access (computer, tablet or phone). On the other hand, using the ATO’s E-tax download, you can only access your current or past tax returns on the same computer where you install the software.
Why use Etax.com.au instead of the ATO?
- Checked by experts: Our Accountants look for extra deductions and offsets that will maximise your refund.
- Gives you deduction tips based on your occupation.
- Finish your return in minutes with no need to enter private details on the Government’s MyGov site.
- Friendly support from qualified accountants – via Live Online Chat or by phone.
- Attach your tax receipts right inside your tax return. Use it year-round to save expenses and receipts. Next year, you might boost your refund by hundreds, even thousands.
- Convenient mobile app. Helps you store receipts and expenses anytime, anyplace. Save receipts when you get them, so you won’t forget later.
- Confidence in knowing your return is accurate and that a top-level tax agent lodged it electronically for the fastest possible refund.
- Over 70% of Australians lodge their return through a tax agent such as Etax.com.au.
- Use your phone, tablet or any type of computer to do your tax return.
What people say about Etax.com.au:
- 96.35% of Etax.com.au users say they’ll recommend it to friends and family.
- 91.1% say it is BETTER than any other way of doing their tax return.
(from a survey of verified Etax clients in July 2015)
Improvements to Etax.com.au for 2017
Every year we collect feedback from users and we make large-scale changes. Last year our management team carefully read and reviewed over 45,000 comments and suggestions provided by Etax.com.au users (and we gave several of them cash prizes for sharing their fantastic ideas with us).
For 2017 the Etax online tax return is simply better than ever:
- Artificial intelligence built-in: The 2017 tax return automatically spots mistakes that could delay your refund.
- Easier to read: The Etax return is constantly revised and re-written based on user feedback about what parts were hardest to complete. This led to countless updates and improvements for 2017. (Okay, it is still a tax return, but this is much easier to read than the old ATO descriptions we’ve all struggled with before.)
- Most sections have 2-level basic & advanced help content, to suit people’s different levels of experience with taxes.
- New Etax help videos and item-specific help makes it even easier to knock off your tax return in one go.
- Pre-filling: As tax agents we can check ATO information about your return, and add it for you (which makes your tax return easier plus helps avoid ATO issues that can slow down your refund later on).
- Live tax estimate: More accurate than ever. With every new detail you add to your return, your tax refund estimate is re-calculated (and you’ll see it updating on-screen as you go through your return).
- Etax live chat: Hundreds of people thanked us for our live chat support (which is staffed by qualified accountants). So in 2016 Etax live chat will have more staff, to serve more people than ever.
You’ll probably agree that self-lodgement with the ATO’s systems can’t compete with the easy, fast online tax agent service from Etax.com.au. With fees starting at just $38.50, and a low $67.90 for the latest Fast Etax return including tax accountant checking and advice plus a mobile app to help you save receipts, Etax.com.au is the most competitive and modern tax service in Australia. For a low “fee-from-refund” fee of $27.50 you can do your tax return now and have your fees deducted from your refund when the ATO processes your return meaning you’ll have nothing to pay upfront. On top of that, the tax agent fees are tax-deductible! It’s no wonder most Australians use a tax agent service like Etax.com.au.
Our job is to help maximise your refund and help you avoid ATO troubles.
Who do you trust for advice on saving taxes? The ATO, or a tax agent who’s on your side?
The ATO wants you to use myTax. It’s not clear why, but they do a lot of advertising telling Australians to do that. This might mean you pay more tax over the years.