How to do your 2021 tax return in minutes
Your 2021 tax return is for income you earned between 1 July 2020 and 30 June 2021.
2021 tax returns generally can’t be lodged until 01 July. At Etax, we’ll release our new 2021 tax return for clients to start early in June 2021. That way there are no delays for people who want to get their refund as soon as possible this year.
For income earned before 01 July 2020, you should do a 2020 tax return. You can do a 2020 (or earlier tax return) right now and finish in minutes at Etax.com.au.
Your 2021 tax return will be easier than ever
The team at Etax works non-stop to make the online tax return easier and nicer for you. When people tell us, “this part was hard for me”, we get to work to improve it.
For 2021, your tax return at Etax will be better than ever. Some people even tell us that it’s fun (but, they might be accountants).
How to get a bigger tax refund in 2021
At Etax your tax return shows an accurate tax refund estimate and it helps you find deductions to increase your tax refund.
How can you get a bigger tax refund?
Here are four important tips:
- Look at the Etax deduction section tips, inside your Etax return. Etax highlights the deductions that make sense for your job, plus ones you’ve claimed before, to help you remember everything you are eligible for. (Plus, you can just chat with an Etax account if you have more questions.)
- Keep track of tax deductions year-round.
Work-related tax deductions are an important way to improve your tax refund. Etax makes it easier for you, with three convenient tools:
- Use Etax to save receipts and deductions all year round. Just login to your account and select the “add deductions or receipts for 2021 now” button to upload a receipt. It is then saved and ready for your 2020 tax return.
- Inside the 2021 tax return, Etax will show you deduction tips based on your occupation. This helps you see common deductions for people in your job and it’s a good reminder about your work-related expenses.
- Etax Accountants will check your tax return and look for ways to boost your refund. Trained tax accountants who are on your side will help spot valuable deductions that you forgot.
- Enter all of your income. This includes everything earned from your job, Centrelink, bank interest, rental property income and investment income. If you don’t add all of your income at the start, the ATO will find it later and you might get a lower refund than you hoped.
- The Etax Blog is a treasure-chest full of tips to boost your tax refund.
A good place to start is the “increase your tax refund” category.
Should I do my tax return online?
Thanks to Etax, doing your taxes online is incredibly easy. You get the same level of support as an old-fashioned tax agent, without having to make appointments and go out. And you don’t have to go it alone with the ATO.
Etax improves its service every year based on your feedback. 20 years of upgrades means, Etax is a snazzy, user-friendly way to do your 2021 tax return. Etax gives you deduction tips based on your history and your occupation, helping you get a better refund. It lets you save receipts and documents using your smartphone; just snap an image of a receipt and save it to your tax return.
And you can save those receipts and tax deductions year-round. At tax time, you won’t forget those valuable deductions that can boost your ATO tax refund.
All of that is wrapped-up together with phone and online chat support and a full-featured tax agent service. Here is a quick tour of the online tax return.
Should I use Etax as my tax agent?
For most Australians, the answer is “yes”.
According to the ATO, the majority of Australians use a tax agent, and that’s because…
- A tax agent is on your side.
- Tax agents like Etax have excellent online systems that save you time (with no appointments).
- You get friendly, expert help when you need it (at Etax that means you get help right now, by phone and live chat).
- You get the confidence it’s been checked and lodged correctly, by qualified people. (At Etax your return is reviewed two times before it is lodged electronically at the ATO.)
- We will try to increase your refund AND help you avoid ATO troubles.
- Etax fees are incredibly cheap, the fees are tax-deductible, plus most taxpayers’s refunds are higher when they use a trusted tax agent.
Can I get a quick tax refund estimate right now?
The most accurate refund estimate happens while you enter your 2021 tax return at Etax.
But if you need a quick estimate right now, visit the free tax refund calculator.
Should I use myTax at the ATO?
The ATO has spent millions of taxpayer’s dollars on advertising, PR, media, consultants and marketing – trying to convince more people to use myTax.
Why? Well remember this key point: The ATO’s job is to collect more taxes, not to give you get a better refund.
- If you want help to boost your refund and avoid ATO trouble, you’re better off doing your 2021 tax return with a tax agent service like Etax.
- For friendly support from a trained accountant who’s on your side, Etax is who you should talk to.
- If you have ATO problems later, and you used a tax agent like Etax, then your accountants will help you (but with myTax, you’re on your own if the ATO demands a tax repayment, penalty or reassessment).