Your 2017 tax return is for income that you earn between 1 July 2016 and 30 June 2017.
The 2017 tax deadline was 31 October 2017.
Unless you already have an ATO extension, your 2017 tax return is now overdue.
You can finish your 2017 tax return in minutes right now at Etax.com.au and get friendly help anytime you need it (with no appointments).
Your 2017 tax return will be easier than ever
The team at Etax works non-stop to make the online tax return service easier and nicer for you. When people tell us, “this part was hard for me”, we get down to work to improve it.
For 2017, your tax return at Etax will be better than ever. Some people even tell us that it’s fun (but, they might be accountants).
Get a bigger tax refund for 2017
At Etax.com.au your tax return shows an accurate tax refund estimate and it helps you find deductions to increase your tax refund.
How can you get a bigger tax refund?
Here are three important tips:
- Keep track of tax deductions year-round.
Work-related tax deductions are an important way to improve your tax refund. Etax makes it easier for you, with three convenient tools:
- Use the Etax 2017 mobile app to save receipts and deductions all year round. Just snap a receipt with your phone and it is saved and ready for your 2017 tax return. learn more about the Etax mobile app
- Inside your 2017 tax return, Etax will show you deduction tips based on your occupation. This helps you see common deductions for people in your job and it’s a good reminder about your work-related expenses.
- Etax Accountants will check your tax return in 2017 and look for ways to boost your refund. Trained tax accountants who’re on your side will help spot valuable deductions that you forgot.
- Enter all of your income. This includes everything earned from your job, Centrelink, bank interest, rental property income and investment income. If you don’t add all of your income at the start, the ATO will find it later and you might get a lower refund than you hoped.
- The Etax Blog is a treasure-chest full of tips to help boost your tax refund. A good place to start is the “improve your refund” section.
Should I do my tax return online?
Thanks to the latest secure, online technology, using an online tax return service is incredibly easy.
Etax developed Australia’s favourite online tax return in 1998 and they improve it every year based on user feedback. 19 years of refinements mean Etax is a sophisticated, user-friendly way to do your 2017 tax return. Etax gives you deduction tips based on your history and your occupation, helping you get a better refund. It lets you save receipts and documents using your smartphone; just snap an image of a receipt and save it to your tax return.
And you can save those receipts and tax deductions year-round. At tax time, you won’t forget those valuable deductions that can boost your ATO tax refund.
All of that is wrapped-up together with phone and online chat support and a full-featured tax agent service. Here is a quick tour of the online tax return.
Should I use Etax as my tax agent?
For most Australians, the answer is “yes”.
According to the ATO, 74 per cent of Australians use a tax agent, because…
- A tax agent is on your side.
- Tax agents like Etax have excellent online systems that save you time (with no appointments).
- You get friendly, expert help when you need it (at Etax that means you get help right now, by phone and live chat).
- Confidence that your tax return is correct.
- The accountants and tax agents who check your tax return will try to increase your refund AND help you avoid ATO troubles.
- Etax fees are incredibly cheap, the fees are tax-deductible, plus most taxpayers’s refunds are higher when they use a trusted tax agent.
Should I use myTax at the ATO?
The ATO spends millions of taxpayer’s dollars on advertising, PR, media, consultants and marketing – just trying to convince more people to use myTax.
Why? That’s not clear. Although there’s no direct fee, taxpayers really do pay for it; tens, possibly hundreds of millions in taxpayer dollars are poured into ATO “self-lodgement” programs.
If you have extremely simple tax affairs, little to deduct and you are comfortable with the tax return and assessment process, myTax might be okay for you.
But with ATO myTax, you are all by yourself. Remember, the ATO’s job is to collect taxes, not to help you get a better refund.
- If you want help to boost your refund, you’d be better to use a tax agent service like Etax.
- For friendly support from a trained accountant who’s on your side, a tax agent is who you should talk to.
- A tax agent gives you the confidence it’s been checked and lodged correctly. (At Etax two trained accountants review and check your tax return before it is lodged electronically at the ATO.)
- If you need help with ATO problems that happen later, and you used a tax agent like Etax, the accountants will help you (but with myTax, you’re on your own if the ATO demands a tax repayment, penalty or reassessment).
Already thinking about 2018?
Click here to see what’s happening with the 2018 tax return.